Released on March 8th, 2020
A couple of years ago, I was demonstrating a simple approach to enrolling high-value clients in front of a group of my students (mostly coaches and aspiring coaches). I worked with the prospective client for 15-20 minutes and got their permission to come back to them with a proposal.
After the client sat down, another member of the group commented that the session had seemed pretty ‘low-key’. He said, “I thought that if you want a client to sign up with you, you need to blow their minds in that initial session.”
I explained that wasn’t how I thought about it, for a number of reasons…
1) The only person who can blow the client’s mind is the client. Your mind works only one way: from the inside –> out. A coach’s role is to create the context where your client can have the insights and realizations that will make a difference to them on a go-forward basis.
But you can’t “give” your client an insight; you can’t “make them” realise something. Your best bet is to create the optimal conditions for that insight to occur. In my case, that involves asking questions, listening to their answers and feeling for a sense of connection so I can start to “get their world” and understand what makes sense to my client.
2) Don’t underestimate how rare and “mind-blowing” it is for people to have someone truly listen to them.
All too often, coaches, consultants and other transformation professionals are so keen to impress their client that they overlook the basics: calibration and connection.
3) Don’t underestimate the incredible power of connection and getting their world. Until your client can feel a sense of trust and connection with you, they’re unlikely to find themselves in a place where they can have the insights and realisations that will blow their mind.
On the other hand, if your client is feeling safe, comfortable and connected to you, they’re not only more likely to have a meaningful insight; they’re also more likely to *enjoy* themselves!
HINT: If you want to enrol someone as a client, it’s going to be a lot easier if they actually enjoy spending time with you. Speaking of which…
4) Paradox Alert: If you’re too busy trying to blow someone’s mind, you’re unlikely to have fun and unlikely to do the things you need to do for their mind to get blown.
This is a paradox, but a powerful one. The least impressive person is generally the one who’s trying to be impressive. The least ‘mind-blowing’ coach is the one who’s putting their attention on trying to blow their client’s mind instead of putting it where it needs to be: the client.
People can feel when you care about them. And that feeling of care is very distinct to the feeling of someone trying to “do something to you” (E.g. blow your mind).
And here’s the thing: the more *you’re* enjoying your time with your client, the more likely your *client* is to enjoy their time with you. And it’s pretty hard to enjoy yourself when you’re putting your attention on trying to blow someone’s mind.
5) Don’t underestimate what can show up when someone has a clear head, and feels connection. My primary aims when I’m having an initial “chemistry session” with a client are to a) get into a feeling of connection with them, b) understand where they’re at and, c) understand what “wonderful” would look like.
During this process, people often have liberating insights that profoundly re-order how they experience themselves and their world.
That’s how you help your clients blow their own minds, and that’s often the pre-cursor to a long and fruitful client relationship.
By the way, on Monday March 9th, I’m sharing everything I’ve learned about signing up high-value coaching, therapy or consultancy clients in a free masterclass and demo session.
Q: Would you like to join me?
When: Monday, March 9th, 7 pm UK (midday PT, 3 pm ET)
Where: Live-stream via Zoom from wherever you are
I’m also going to share – and demonstrate – the step-by-step process I use for signing up clients on high-end packages so that you can do it too, whether you’re charging £1,000 or £100,000.
This session is for you if you’re a coach, therapist or consultant and:
- You’re just starting out and want to get clients.
- You’re already practising and want to grow your practice.
- You’re already successful in your role and want to take your practice to a new level.
- You want to find a way to sign up clients at the fees you want to earn, in a way that feels genuine, comfortable, and fits with who you are.
I look forward to connecting with you on Monday at 7 pm UK!
Jamie Smart, Sunday Times Bestselling Author, Speaker and Executive Coach
PS It’s just a few more days until the doors close and we start our Spring 12-week Coaching Immersion for creating some game-changing breakthroughs.
Whether you’re looking to enrol your first coaching client, change career, transform your money-mindset or just experience more confidence and well-being in your life, we’re going to be working together for 12 weeks in a small group to make your breakthrough a reality.
Q: Would you like to join us?
Here’s what’s happening…
- My 12-week Coaching Immersion formally starts with the first group-coaching call on Thursday 12th March (doors close this Wednesday at midnight).
- If you want to experience a genuine transformation in your life, this is an opportunity to get input from me personally (e.g. around health, relationships, confidence, well-being, finances, purpose, etc).
- It comes with a 100%, 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can join today, take part for a MONTH and if you aren’t delighted and making real, tangible progress, I’ll give you a full refund, no quibbles, no hassle.
It’s a transformational 12-week journey with a focus on your choice of one of 3 tracks, starting soon. Here are the links to the programme details:
>>> Clarity for Personal Transformation: Click here to learn more & register now.
>>> Career Transition Blueprint: Click here to learn more & register now.
>>> Thriving Coaches Blueprint: Click here to learn more & register now.
Sometimes people have questions, so if you’d like to speak to Deb on our team to find out if the programme is right for you and sort out logistics, you can schedule a call in her diary here.
PPS If you want to ask me a question directly, hit reply to this email and I’ll get right back to you.