It’s enthusiasm time again. Let me know what you think via twitter at @JamieSmartCom, on my Facebook page, or on my blog below.
1. A quote I’m resonating with this week
I’ve been listening to an old Syd Banks recording (one I’ve heard many times) but these sentences leapt out at me today. Of course, Banks would be the first to say that you can’t actually get rid of the ego, but the thing that struck me here was this: that phrase, “Oh God, I want nothing to do with it.” I suddenly heard the ‘aversion’ to the ego; the instinctive sense that while it may always be with us, it isn’t worth paying attention to.
“You gotta destroy the ego… throw it away, oh God I want nothing to do with it… really, this is where freedom is…”
2. A coaching session that sparked a massive change
Last weekend was module 3 of the 10-month Clarity Coach Training programme. On the very first module, back in September, I did a 1:1 coaching session with Anna Foakes. Anna is a therapist who’s passionate about making a difference to her clients, but who experienced stress and “social anxiety” when she was in larger groups of people. She volunteered to do a coaching demo with me, and it turned it to be fascinating for a number of reasons:
– Anna felt quite distressed at certain points in the session, so it was a great opportunity for me to demonstrate how I work with people who are caught up in anxious feelings
– Despite her distress, I felt a really deep connection with Anna, and pointed her in the direction of her ‘true self’ (the most powerful thing a person can realise)
– At the end of the session, I was happy that Anna had realised something valuable at a deep level, but it wasn’t clear to me (or the audience) that Anna was consciously aware of it yet (in fact, she seemed relieved that the demo was over). However…
– The next day, Anna reported something extraordinary. We’ve included her talking about it the next day, and it’s truly mind-blowing.
These changes have continued to unfold for Anna, and this makes total sense to me. Why? Because I believe that the most valuable thing a person can discover is the truth of who they really are, and you’re going to hear what that can sound like!
You can listen to the whole coaching session and the follow-up conversation here
3. This week’s glimpse of the future
If robots are coming, why don’t we see them yet? This brief video of a conversation with Andrew Yang (2020 US Presidential candidate) is quite an eye-opener. The robots are coming! https://twitter.com/AndrewYangVFA/status/1070107365184335872?s=20
4. The perfect shot
Alan McFadyen took six years and over 700,000 photos to get this shot. Amazing https://www.demilked.com/kingfisher-dive-photo-wildlife-photography-alan-mcfayden/
5. This week’s 3-minute miracle
I used to listen to AC/DC when I was a teenager, but I was never a big fan. I didn’t really grow to appreciate their music until I was much older, when I realised that they wrote some of the hookiest pop songs of all time. Don’t let the distorted guitars and screaming vocals fool you; this is a pop extravaganza, a three-minute miracle extraordinaire: AC/DC’s You Shook Me All Night Long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2qQmj0_h4
That’s it for this week!
Jamie Smart, Sunday Times Bestselling Author, Speaker and Executive Coach
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 8 ways I can help you get the clarity and results that matter to you:
1. Listen to the ‘Get Clarity’ Podcast www.jamiesmart.com/claritynow/
2. Hire me to speak at your event: www.jamiesmart.com/book-jamie-to-speak-about/
If you’re a coach or interested in becoming one…
3. Join The Thriving Coaches Facebook group
4. Listen to The Thriving Coaches Podcast
5. Take part in the Thriving Coaches Blueprint. our 90 day, rapid-implementation programme to help you get more clients and grow your coaching or therapy practice (next registration early 2019!)
6. Learn more about the Certified Clarity Coach Training Programme, our 10-month deep-immersion into the principles behind clarity (Next programme starts, January 2020).
If you’re looking to change job, career or move from FTE to something more fulfilling…
7. Join the Transition Launchpad Facebook group
8. Learn more about Escape Velocity: The Transition Blueprint our 90-day programme to help you transition into doing fulfilling work.