1. A quote I’m resonating with this week
I love the song Forever Young by Bob Dylan. It’s this week’s 3 minute miracle, but the lyrics stand on their own as a beautiful reminder of what matters. Here’s a taste:
“May you grow up to be righteous. May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth. And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous. Stand upright and be strong
And may you stay. Forever young.”
2. A comedian who cracks me up
I first came across the German comedian Flula Borg when he played a swinger (Ernst) in Season 9 of my favourite comedy, Curb Your Enthusiasm. Even though it was a small part, his performance was incredibly compelling and funny, so I looked up the actor behind it, and discovered Flula. His weird and wonderful youtube channel is full of delights. Here’s a video of him covering the Blackstreet classic ‘No Diggity’ with Chester See. Enjoy!
3. This week’s glimpse of the future
Now DeepMind’s AI can spot eye disease just as well as your doctor. Morefield’s Eye Hospital are collaborating with Google’s Deep Mind to change the world. This is amazing!
4. Dealing with Impostor Syndrome, Self-doubt and Self-belief
This week’s episode of the Get Clarity Podcast is a coaching session I did with a client who was struggling with so-called “impostor syndrome”, self-doubt and lack of self-belief. And these are such common issues for people that I thought it would be a really useful one to share with you.
Emma Broome is an elite performance coach, with a background in elite performance herself as an aerial skier. But when she first reached out to me, she told me she was really struggling with impostor syndrome and self-doubt. And she was surprised when I said, “That’s a bit of a specialty of mine, so we’ll get that handled, probably during the first week of the programme.” I invited her to do a coaching demo with me during a training course, and the recording you’re about to hear is the result.
By the way, 2 weeks ago she posted on Facebook saying, “I had my first enrolment conversation 10 days ago, did my first proposal last week and had it accepted yesterday! I now have my first half day intensive in 10 days time.” So things have really shifted since she and I had this coaching session. You can listen to it here:
5. This week’s 3 minute miracle
When I first heard Bob Dylan, I didn’t realise that I’d already heard many of his songs covered by other people. I saw him live in concert last year, and I was struck again by what an amazing musician and lyricist he is. Don’t be fooled by his ‘unusual’ vocal style – Dylan’s a master. Here’s the stunningly beautiful Forever Young https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frj2CLGldC4
That’s it for this week!
Jamie Smart, Sunday Times Bestselling Author, Speaker and Executive Coach
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 6 ways I can help you get the clarity and results that matter to you:
1. Listen to the ‘Get Clarity’ Podcast www.jamiesmart.com/claritynow/
2. Hire me to speak at your event: www.jamiesmart.com/book-jamie-to-speak-about/
If you’re a coach or interested in becoming one…
4. Listen to The Thriving Coaches Podcast
5. Take part in the Thriving Coaches Blueprint. our 90 day, rapid-implementation programme to help you get more clients and grow your coaching or therapy practice (doors now open!)
6. Learn more about the Certified Clarity Coach Training Programme, our 10-month deep-immersion into the principles behind clarity (doors now open! The programme starts September 2018 and won’t run again until 2020 at the earliest.)
If you’re looking to change job, career or move from FTE to something more fulfilling…
7. Join the Transition Launchpad Facebook group
8. Learn more about Escape Velocity: The Transition Blueprint our 90 day programme to help you transition into doing fulfilling work.