1. A quote I’m resonating with this week
This one’s from John Stuart Mill’s book, On Liberty:
“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion… Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them…he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”
2. Getting clarity on our message as a company
We’ve been clarifying our message about who we are as a company and what we do. And while I’m not a huge believer in the whole “start with why” model, it can be fun to experiment with. Here’s what we’ve got so far:
WHY: We believe the most valuable thing a person can discover is the truth of who they really are.
Purists may argue that it would more accurately be stated as ‘what they really are’ but I’m happy with this for now. I’m really looking forward to sharing more of our new messaging with you as we get clearer and clearer on it.
3. This week’s glimpse of the future
The first AI news anchors have been unveiled. They’re not that great yet, but this is definitely a (creepy) glimpse of the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjn_ZJQ-e0Y
4. An amazing human being
Read the story of Arunachalam Muruganantham, the ‘tampon king’ is transforming the lives of millions of women in India. Truly inspiring:
5. This week’s 3-minute miracle
Last week’s 3mm was John Carpenter’s theme to Halloween. One of my favourite podcasts is Song Exploder, where musicians unpack the making of a piece of music, so I was delighted when they featured the making of the music to the latest Halloween film. Check out this wonderful 12-minute episode: https://songexploder.net/halloween
That’s it for this week!
Jamie Smart, Sunday Times Bestselling Author, Speaker and Executive Coach
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 8 ways I can help you get the clarity and results that matter to you:
1. Listen to the ‘Get Clarity’ Podcast www.jamiesmart.com/claritynow/
2. Hire me to speak at your event: www.jamiesmart.com/book-jamie-to-speak-about/
If you’re a coach or interested in becoming one…
4. Listen to The Thriving Coaches Podcast
5. Take part in the Thriving Coaches Blueprint. our 90 day, rapid-implementation programme to help you get more clients and grow your coaching or therapy practice (doors now open!)
6. Learn more about the Certified Clarity Coach Training Programme, our 10-month deep-immersion into the principles behind clarity (Next programme starts, January 2020).
If you’re looking to change job, career or move from FTE to something more fulfilling…
7. Join the Transition Launchpad Facebook group
8. Learn more about Escape Velocity: The Transition Blueprint our 90-day programme to help you transition into doing fulfilling work.