1. A quote I’m resonating with this week
In a recent ‘Ask Me Anything’ session on his podcast, Sam Harris was answering a question about what careers he would advise. He talked (of course) about the advance of technology, and avoiding jobs likely to be automated soon. He also said that the careers which would likely be the last to be automated were those involving human creativity, taste and insight. This is a point I made in-depth in my book RESULTS. Here’s what Harris said about the importance of relationships:
“I think lawyers and accountants and many other white-collar jobs will be automated away before seemingly more menial jobs will be. Obviously we will want to remain in relationship to other people, so careers that give primacy to relationships – being a psychotherapist, or a coach – seems to me to give much more primacy to the relationship than being an oncologist does.”
2. Bootleg Audio Chapters from RESULTS
Back in 2016, before I’d been into the studio to record the Audible version of the audiobook for my Sunday Times bestseller, RESULTS: Think Less, Achieve More, I did a kind of ‘bootleg’ version here, on my podcast. If you want a taste of RESULTS, and to understand why you’ve got everything you need to navigate this strange and uncertain future we’re living into, you can listen to the first 2 chapters here
3. This week’s glimpse of the future
The Uber-competitor ‘Lyft’ has found a super-practical use for augmented reality technology. This stuff is going to be everywhere soon! https://loupventures.com/lyft-is-showing-us-the-future-augmented-reality/
4. One of the highlights of 2019
Each year for the past few years, my dear friends, colleagues and mentors, Jan and Chip Chipman join me in the Canary Islands for the Clarity Life Transformation Retreat.
Jan and Chip have had a huge impact on my work and on me personally, and the retreat is one of the most ‘in-depth’ things we do to point people back to the essence of who we really are. Each year, I have my own insights (in fact, my world and my work have transformed massively since last year’s retreat, and resulted in a new vision and focus in our company).
The wonderful Jo Munday made a beautiful 5-minute video about the retreat that starts with me talking about the inspiration for it, and then incorporates participants talking about the impact it’s having for them. You can check it out here:
If you’d like to explore the possibility of joining us in May, just hit reply to this email and type ‘Let me know more about the retreat’ and we’ll be in touch.
5. This week’s 3 minute miracle
Here’s the gorgeous Hayling by FC Kahuna. I was smitten from the very first listen. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsfUXFmBDQ
That’s it for this week!
Jamie Smart, Sunday Times Bestselling Author, Speaker and Executive Coach
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 8 ways I can help you get the clarity and results that matter to you:
1. Listen to the ‘Get Clarity’ Podcast www.jamiesmart.com/claritynow/
2. Hire me to speak at your event: www.jamiesmart.com/book-jamie-to-speak-about/
If you’re a coach or interested in becoming one…
4. Listen to The Thriving Coaches Podcast
5. Take part in the Thriving Coaches Blueprint. our 90 day, rapid-implementation programme to help you get more clients and grow your coaching or therapy practice (next registration early 2019!)
6. Learn more about the Certified Clarity Coach Training Programme, our 10-month deep-immersion into the principles behind clarity (pre-booking for January 2020 now open).
If you’re looking to change job, career or move from FTE to something more fulfilling…
7. Join the Transition Launchpad Facebook group
8. Learn more about Escape Velocity: The Transition Blueprint our 90-day programme to help you transition into doing fulfilling work.