Special Friday the 13th edition. As Stevie Wonder famously said…
Given that this week’s shot of clarity is arriving on ‘Friday 13th’ (a date that sparks fear for many triskaidekaphobics, and gave rise to the series of slasher films by the same name), I thought it would be fun to do a piece on superstition.
As Stevie Wonder famously said in his number 1 song, Superstition, “When you believe in things, That you don’t understand, Then you suffer, Superstition ain’t the way”
As you may already know, our purpose as a team is to inspire and educate a generation to experience lives of clarity, resilience and wellbeing. Our mission is to awaken people and support them in awakening others. And what are we awakening people from?
The superstitions of thought that cloud people’s minds and keep them locked in suffering and seeking.
We believe the most valuable things a person can discover are how your experience is being created, and who you really are.
Subtractive psychology (the stuff we teach) is the only thing you can learn that clears your mind automatically and uncovers your true potential.
As you see through the BIG superstition I refer to as ‘the outside-in misunderstanding’, you find that you have the clarity and confidence to solve your problems and enjoy life to the full.
Here’s an excerpt about this from my book CLARITY: Clear Mind, Better Performance, Bigger Results (©2013 Jamie Smart, published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd)…
You have innate clarity and peace of mind
Clarity and peace of mind are the “default position” for people – the factory settings. While these are context-sensitive – they can show up differently depending on the situation – they’re the baseline for a person when there’s nothing else in the way. And what gets in the way?
Like a football being held underwater, as soon as you let go, it rises to the surface. And like the grass pressing up through the cracks in a city pavement, your resilience and clarity is always doing its best to ﬁnd its way through the paving slabs of your superstitious thinking.
If you have any doubt about this, consider little children. Up to the age of around four years old, children return easily to the default setting of their clarity and well-being. While they often get upset, they don’t stay with it. The pull of their clarity is too strong, and their superstitious thinking is not powerful enough to keep them from it.
Clarity is the small child’s standard-setting. Think about it. The average three-year-old:
● Tends to be deeply engaged, easily amused and satisﬁed with the simple joys of life; is present and in the moment.
● Doesn’t know the meaning of the word “bored”; can enjoy the same things over and over again.
● Is loving and open-hearted, connecting easily with others.
● Finds lots of things fun and funny.
● Comes up with new ideas and creative insights.
● Knows they don’t really understand how life works; is curious, often puzzled, and constantly learning.
● Gets over upsets quickly and easily; doesn’t tend to dwell on past mistakes or worry about the future.
● Is in touch with their deeper wisdom, often aware of “the elusive obvious” that the adults around them aren’t seeing.
The average three-year-old spends a lot of their time in clarity because they’re allowing their psychology to do what it’s designed to do. Ironically, the extremes of emotion that little children swing back and forth between would look certiﬁable on the average adult, but that’s because children aren’t trying to manage their states. The psychology of little children is an example of the mind’s self-correcting system given the freedom to do what it does best; return to a set-point of clarity and well-being.
Think of a child’s gyroscope. When the gyroscope spins, it naturally gravitates towards a vertical alignment. If you knock it off centre, it self-corrects and makes its way back towards the vertical. You don’t need to do anything to correct it – in fact, efforts to correct it tend to impede its progress.
The mind is a self-correcting system. Its set-point is clarity, resilience and well-being…
By the way, this coming Thursday, for the first time in 10 years, I’m teaching a public masterclass about one of my passions…
And 10 years on, there’s a big difference…
As I mentioned above, my mission is to awaken people and help them awaken others, so…
We’re going to be exploring the keys to using language in ways that allow you to…
– be more visible and build engagement,
– increase that feeling of connection,
– create the conditions for insight and transformation (those big a-has that change people’s lives)
This isn’t just going to make you a more impactful communicator; it’s going to make you a more powerful leader, colleague and coach.
The masterclass is Thursday, 19th Nov at 7 pm UK (11 am Pacific, 2 pm Eastern), it’s going to be 90 minutes and it’s totally free.
Q: Do you want to join me for “The Language of Insight and Transformational Change”?
Have a wonderful weekend!
Jamie Smart, Sunday Times Bestselling Author, Speaker & Executive Coach
PS You know how most people have a lot on their minds? We teach subtractive psychology, an understanding that automatically clears your mind, and gives you the clarity and confidence to solve your problems and enjoy life to the full.
Plus, whenever you’re ready… here are 7 ways I can help you get the clarity and results that matter to you:
1. Listen to the ‘Get Clarity’ Podcast
2. Book me to speak at your event: http://www.jamiesmart.com/book-jamie-to-speak-about/
3. Enroll on the Career Transition Blueprint self-study programme, our rapid-implementation programme to help you move to do work that’s more fulfilling and on-purpose for you.
If you’re a coach, interested in becoming a coach or just passionate about sharing the principles behind clarity…
4. Join The Clarity Life Community on Facebook.
5. Listen to The Thriving Coaches Podcast
6. I have room in my practice for 2 Apprentices, starting in January 2021. Apprenticeship with me takes courage, as well as a significant commitment of time, energy and finances (the investment to become one of my Apprentices is currently £50,000 + VAT), so it’s not for everybody. If you think it might be a good fit for you, hit reply to this email and write “Apprentice info please” and we’ll get back to you with some info and questions to help you get clear on whether or not we’re a good fit for each other.
7. Believe it or not, there are only 2 places left on the 2021 Clarity Certification Training, and the programme doesn’t even start until the end of January. You can save up to £2,000 when you book your place by midnight Pacific time on Monday, November 30th, but realistically… there’s no way these 2 places will be available by then. To be clear: we will not be adding any more seats on the programme. Once these 2 are gone, the programme is full and we’ll be opening the waiting list for the 2022 intake.